Tuesday, February 23, 2010

for my son who can eat anything (lyn)

Most nights, around 10pm or so, Alexander comes into my room and wants to go over to Sedutto's, the local ice cream store.  It doesn’t matter how much he’s eaten for dinner, he is always “starving” within two hours. 

Awhile back we came to an agreement.  For every A or A- he achieves in school, Alexander wins an ice cream from Sedutto’s. I know this sounds a bit juvenile, but otherwise I'd be spending over $100/month  on ice cream.

Last week was a good week.  High scores in Spanish and Math earned Alexander a couple of trips to Sedutto’s.  Tonight he comes in to claim his prize.  But the weather is horrid.  It’s been raining all day, and tonight is even worse.  It sounds great from inside, but not exactly something you’d like to be walking around in.

I offer Alexander some alternatives.  “What about having one of my weight watchers ice cream bars?  Or my chocolate chip cookies (also from ww, implied but not stated)?  Or maybe one of those chocolate-raspberry bars (again, from ww)? “  He rejects all my offers.  I then try a different route.  “How about some of the fresh blueberries or cut up strawberries that I bought today?”  Again, the response is a negative one.

 “How come I don’t get to eat good desserts anymore just because you’re on Weight Watchers?  Now you only have healthy foods in the house.  We don’t have anything good.  I liked you better before.”

His sentiment is real;  his delivery not.  But he’s right.  Tomorrow I’ll buy him some fattening foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment