Saturday, February 13, 2010

so much fun on a saturday night (lyn)

Around 7pm I discover that I cannot receive emails.  All my sent emails are disappearing from the Sent folder.  I cannot open a new mail account.  I get messages I don’t understand.  Warnings.  I’m asked to do things and I have no idea how to do them.  I call Apple and we discover my problem is not a simple one to fix.  It rarely is.  I am on the phone with Cameron from Niagara Falls (the Canadian side) for 55 minutes when the only solution seems to be to re-install the Operating System.  He assures me that my personal data will not be affected.  Reluctantly I comply.  Since this will take some time, we take a 45-minute break.

The Winter Olympics in Vancouver began last night, so I had anticipated watching them tonight, over a nice dinner, with Alexander.  But plans change.  Instead of dining leisurely over swordfish with lots of vegetables, I gobble down dinner in fifteen minutes in order to be ready when Cameron calls back.  In fact, I have so lost interest in eating, that I decide to forgo one half of my half-pound swordfish.  I may as well save the points if I’m not enjoying it anyway.

I finish dinner and see that my install is not complete yet.   For a nanosecond I contemplate splurging on an ice cream, but the temptation does not last long.  I know that I’d eat the ice cream, regret it after, and still have to deal with my computer problem.

Cameron calls back as he said he would.  I’m now installing updates (as I write this) and Cameron waits patiently in Niagara Falls.  Now he says it’s unlikely we’ll solve my problems tonight; he is leaving work soon.  “But don’t worry, I’m in tomorrow and we can finish it then.”  Can't wait.

After 44 minutes (that’s 99 minutes if one includes the pre-dinner call) and the problem remains.  But before hanging up, Cameron gives me a list of things to do before our call tomorrow.  I can’t believe I have homework.  My Saturday night is now full of running programs, testing applications, listing problems, and emailing Cameron a copy of some complicated coded-looking document. 

Can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday night.   


  

No comments:

Post a Comment