Thursday, April 22, 2010

bad news, good news (lyn)

Two weeks ago I apply for two jobs at WeightWatchers.  A few days later I receive a phone call from an HR manager at the company.  She’d like to schedule a phone interview.  We set one up, and I dress appropriately (i.e., in anything I want).   I do an exceptional job of presenting myself.  I convey my passion, my skills and experience, and a couple of strong ideas for growing their business.  I would have hired me.  

Today I receive a standard reject letter, not even from the person I spoke to, but from her supervisor.  I am so deflated.  If I can’t get a job at WeightWatchers, a company I unconditionally believe in, I feel I can’t get a job anywhere.  Unemployment is an awful way to live.  It affects your reality as well as your psyche, both in ways that are horribly unhealthy. 

But while I was rejected today, Alexander was not.  In late March, he applied for a college prep scholarship through an organization called QuestBridge.  Today he got an email that said, in part,

Dear Alexander,

On behalf of QuestBridge and the Edward Fein Foundation, we would like to congratulate you on your selection as a QuestBridge College Prep Scholarship Fein Fellow award recipient for 2010. You were selected from a large pool of Jewish high school juniors based on your academic excellence, leadership potential, and financial need.

As a Fein Fellow, you will receive the following awards:
·    A laptop computer
·    An invitation to attend the QuestBridge College Admissions Conference at Yale University on Saturday, June 19, 2010.

We have also nominated you to be considered for an all-expense-paid campus visit to one or more of our partner colleges.

This good news is more good than my bad news is bad.  I think we’ll celebrate with turkey burgers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment