Monday, April 5, 2010

desperate to work (lyn)

Things are so bad financially that last week I went to the census office and took a test to qualify me for work.  If chosen, it’s up to 8 weeks of work at up to 25 hours a week at $18.75/hr.  So what’s that?  $3,750.  Enough to cover Alexander’s bus fare to school next year and a life insurance policy premium, both of which are coming due soon.

I get a call on my cell today at 2:43.  “Hi Lyn.   This is Rosemary from the US Census Bureau.  You recently filled out an application to be a worker for the 2010 Census.  A position has become available in your area.  Please give us a call back for a telephone interview.”

I had forgotten to bring my cell with me when I left the house to run a few errands this afternoon.  AT 3:20 I get the message and excitedly call back.  I get Rosemary.  I tell her who I am and she says, “Oh, I’m so sorry.  When we couldn’t reach you we called someone else and that position is now filled.  But we’ll put your name back in the pool and maybe something else will become available.”

I’m disappointed beyond words right now.  For a job that an uneducated English-speaking 18-year old could qualify for.  

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:39 PM EDT

    Lyn--First of all, huge congratulations to you on meeting your weight-loss goals. What you did takes a huge amount of focus and self-discipline. You deserve all of the wonderful comments you've been getting from friends and family. Now to the part that's really none of my business...I've been biting my tongue about this for weeks, as I've followed your blog, but now am just going to put it out there...why don't you try to get a job as a personal shopper in a high-end (Bergdorf-type) store? You would be fabulous. It is clear that you love clothes...many of your entries refer to clothes...and that you are incredibly knowledgeable about designers, trends, styles, what looks good, etc. I think the potential is there to also make decent money (certainly better than a census taker). There...I said it. I wish you all the very best in whatever you choose to do. From M's good friend, A

    ReplyDelete
  2. A-
    I have thought a lot about taking this exact route, and now that I feel better about myself physically, I might just try. Thanks so much for the kind words of encouragement. I really appreciate your taking the time to care, and the time to write. Lyn

    ReplyDelete