Saturday, April 10, 2010

a double loss (lyn)

It’s the early 80’s and M and I are both working at Gillette.  M’s wallet is stolen from her purse while she is shopping for a gift at F.A.O. Schwarz.  A few days later, she gets a call at work.  The conversation goes something like this: 

Police Officer:    Hi, this is Officer Kelly calling from District D-4.  Did you recently lose a wallet?”

M:  Yes.  Did someone find it?

Police Officer:  It appears so.

M:  Gee that’s great.  Does it still have my license and credit cards in it?

Police Officer:  It looks like nothing was taken.

M:  Unbelievable!  When can I come and get it? Oh, and, where are you located?

Police Office:  You can come anytime.  We’re located at………

M:  Well thanks again. This is fantastic news.  I never expected to get it back.

Police Office:  Glad we could help.  So I guess we’ll see you soon.

M:  I’ll come down during lunch today.

Police Officer:  Great.  We’ll see you then.  Bye, Brenda.

M:  Brenda?

Police Officer:  Aren’t you Brenda O’Toole?’

M:  No, my name is M….

Police Officer:  Oh, I’m sorry.  We have a list of names and I guess I must have called the wrong one.

M:  I’d have been better off if you’d never called.  Now I feel like I’ve lost my wallet twice.

This afternoon I get another call from the census bureau.  Again, I miss the call.  And again, by the time I call back the position has been filled.    

No comments:

Post a Comment