Saturday, April 3, 2010

how not to make a sale (m)

Went to pick up some prepared food for Easter....veggie tray with dips, assorted cheese platter.  I figure if I don't make it myself, there's less temptation.

Get to the place.  It's packed.  I decide to wait until the crowd subsides a bit.  I look next door at the boutique owned by a woman I know.  It's gotten great reviews by Boston magazine and I've been there a couple of times.  Pricey but beautiful things.   

I go inside...my friend, S, is not there.  She's on a buying trip to NYC, they say.  I despise the woman behind the counter.   I met her when I was there last Fall.  She's coarse, loud and has one of those impeccably toned bodies but a hard face with deep crevices.  I see a gorgeous jacket that I pick up to examine.  I am not there to buy;  I'm just looking.  Hard body sees me do this and says (loudly):  "That's too small for you.  It will never fit."

I smile and say "How do you know I'm not buying this for someone else?"  She looks surprised as if she has not considered that option.

Why do people think it's okay to say things like that?   Seriously, even if I were buying it for myself, that's my prerogative.  If I want to stuff myself into a too-small jacket or, better yet, take it home for inspiration, that's my business.

I can't wait to lose enough weight to go in there and say "I'm normal-sized now, but I see you still look like a pug."

No comments:

Post a Comment