Friday, April 2, 2010

preserving memories (lyn)

Walk again today.  3.6 miles.  My goal is a minimum of three times a week.  I had promised myself that on April 1 I would begin exercising with weights and doing sit ups.  That hasn’t happened yet.  But soon.

Come home and get involved in a project that takes the entire day.  I research places that convert VHS and old 8mm to a digital format.  This has been on my to-do list for at least four years.  The local place I’d identified in 2006 no longer exists.  But what I find instead is so much better.

I catalogue nine 8mm cassettes and seventeen VHS tapes, box them up, wait at the post office for half an hour, and mail them off to a place in Arizona called iMemories.  If it happens like it should, in a couple of weeks I will be able to view all my videos  (some that I haven’t watched in over 20 years) on a website.  I should then be able to easily (so I’m told) edit and label each one, and iMemories will then convert them into DVD’s.  And, they will do it all for only $10 each. 

I am nervous about sending off my only copies of Alexander learning to walk, his graduation from nursery school, a message to Alexander from some colleagues at CNBC before he was even born, a mock video for Discovery, and many more events that are long past.  But I try only to think of how great it’ll be to have all these videos in an easy-to-watch format.  I’ll then finally throw out my Mitsubishi VCR that hasn’t been used in years.

When I get involved in a project it’s easy to forget about eating, as I do for most of the day.  Have only a zero-point Fiber-One non-fat Yogurt (the key lime flavor is great) and coffee.  But around 5, when I finally return from the post office, I’m starving.  I eat a plum, but am still hungry.  So I go for the unhealthy one-point ww chocolate-covered pretzels.  Even Alexander loves these.

I already know I’m having sushi for dinner.  So a healthy start, a healthy finish, and a productive in-between.

No comments:

Post a Comment