Friday, April 23, 2010

candy + 3 hours +1 pt = willpower (m)

One of the Board members at the medical school owns a major American candy company.  Each meeting, there are bowls of candy placed in front of the meeting attendants. Chocolate mints, chocolate covered caramels, chocolate covered cherries, gummy things, lollipops.  It's the most incongruous sight I've ever seen....the candy in the foreground and the straight -laced serious business people and doctors in the background.

I usually sit next to a man named Chuck who is a brilliant management consultant.  While Chuck is slim, he could keep up with me eating the candy.  We even found that we liked the opposite colors in the box of gummies.  I like red and orange and hate green and yellow, he would eat the green and yellow and give me his red and orange ones.  I believe the scientific term for this type of complementary relationship is symbiosis.

Anyway, I sat in front of the candy bowl yesterday for three hours and only had one small dinner mint.  I magnanimously awarded it one full point, though I know it was less.

I felt good that I was able to demonstrate such willpower.

No comments:

Post a Comment