Wednesday, April 7, 2010

why I love weightwatchers (lyn)

It’s sunny and hot (91 degrees); a beautiful summer day in early April.  On my way to WeightWatchers, I overhear a woman on her cell say to someone, “”it’s the kind of weather that makes me smile.”  She’s right.

I get to class, step on the scale, and see Robyn grin as she says, “You’re down 1.6.”  I now weigh 126 pounds.  A great weight for me.  I think I would like to loose another two, just to have some eating room.  But basically, I have accomplished my goal, and it feels fantastic.

I was thinking about why I like ww so much, and for me, it comes down to three things:

1)    It’s not restrictive.  Basically, you can eat whatever you want.  You need to be smart about your choices, but no food is off limits.  Having never dieted before, I know I would not have done as well on a plan that specifies what I can and cannot eat, and dictates quantities.  Being able to make my own decisions, including ribs when I want them, or a 10-ounce steak, has made this program very doable.

2)    Every week you get to start over.  If you track (which is really key), you get to start over every seven days.  Every Wednesday, I get a new pool of 35 bonus points, and a clean slate.  True, I lose my unused activity points (i.e. points I accumulate for exercising that can be translated into food points) from the prior week, but that’s incentive to create new ones for the present week. 

3)    It works.  Follow the rules and you lose weight.  It's really that easy.  I like the simplicity.  But for people who won't write down everything they eat, I don’t think this is the right program for them.  Being the compulsive organizer that I am –one who records everything- this program is tailor-made.

No comments:

Post a Comment