Saturday, April 3, 2010

the road less traveled (m)

Gorgeous day.  Bright sun, blue sky, gentle breeze, dry, high 70's almost 80 degrees. Perfect.

Harrison's team has its first crew race of the season.  I drop him off at the boathouse at 9:20 a.m.  Race time is 10:50 a.m.  I have 90 minutes to myself.  I am planning to walk a long distance today.  The question is: do I park along the Charles River near the skating rink where I can do my normal route, or do I park where the race ends and do a new route?  What the hell, I think, live a little...try a new route.

I take the very last spot in the parking lot where the race will end and the families gather to cheer the kids.    I interpret this as a sign that I was supposed to choose this route.  I tie my sneakers, stretch and start to walk.  The knees are killing me.  They don't feel like they are part of my body.  The Harvard varsity crew passes by on the river, their faces contorted in pain.  Inspired by them, I push myself harder.  Within 15 minutes, my joints still ache but feel "lubed" enough to get me the rest of the way.  I'm breaking a sweat.  This is good.  Just then I hear "M!  What are you doing here?"  It's my masseuse, J.  She's on her bike and clearly wants to stop and talk.  I stop to talk to her for 5 minutes and move on.  My joints feel achy.  I walk faster.  It's like a carnival out here...bikers, joggers, walkers.  Every two seconds it seems I hear a bicycle bell or someone saying "on your left"  or "excuse me" as people pass me by.  Then I hear, "Excuse me."  I look around.  I'm not in anyone's way that I can see.  I keep walking.  Again I hear: "Excuse me."  I see a man on a bike.  He's directing his comments to me.  "You look familiar.  I know you."  It's Sam's sophomore advisor from high school.  We stop and chat for a bit.

I start up again.  I'm headed to Harvard Square come hell or high water.  I hear my name being called again.  It's a crazy mother from H's school.  I wave and keep walking.  She catches up to me (not hard).  She wants to know how H is keeping up with all the homework because her daughter is up late at night and had to give up some activities and blah, blah, blah.  I tell her I'm on a program, preparing for surgery and need to keep walking.  I break away from her.

I won't bore you with the other details, but I got interrupted 5 more times on the way back to my car.  This never happens on my normal route.  While it was nice to see people, I will not be walking this way again anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment