Friday, April 2, 2010

delegation (m)

Easter Sunday is two days away.  I've finally gotten my house back in order after unpacking from Florida and Turkey (found half a sandwich in Harrison's luggage that had been sitting there for a week) and from hosting the refugees (my brother and his family).  But that only got me to baseline.  I took a look around and realized that, with the bright sunshine and 70+ degree weather, the Christmas decorations looked out of place.  Got those down and bought some pretty flowers....white hydrangeas, orchids and some tulips....to place around the house.  Better.

The landscapers came.  Seven men who work like they are on the crew of Ben Hur.  I ask them to do a few extra things and reward them with cold water, oranges and cookies.  They are so grateful it makes me want to cry.

I attended a meeting near Providence, Rhode Island.  Two-hour marathon that ended most unsatisfactorily.  One of the men at the meeting wants to spend a couple of hours afterwards discussing where we go from here.  I told him we go to the bakery to pick up the carrot cake for Easter.  I'd be happy to continue the conversation with him if he came on my errand with me.  I don't think men multi-task very well.

Got home and threw in a laundry.  Thought I had until 7 pm until I had to pick up Harrison, but his text tells me "change of plans...can you get me now and bring me to the rink?"  I have twenty minutes to pull this off and just make it to his school.

Went shopping at Marshall's while he skated.  Bought stuff I didn't like and didn't need.  What, you ask?  Well...how about 12 pairs of peds...six black and six beige.  Got them home, tried them on....too small.  Even the peds are too small.  And here I am thinking I lost weight in my feet.

Went to the liquor store to buy wine, etc. for Easter.  Cousin Patty tells me that one of the guests (I won't name her for reasons you'll see) likes Kahlua Sombreros (remember those?  I think they went out with sloe gin fizzes and Kamikazes) but not to give it to her because the ice makes her stomach "cramp up." This is a euphemism for she'll have an accident on my white Gabbeh carpet.  Bought wine and mix for Margharitas.

Got home again, switched the laundry and started a new one.  Made dinner and paid some bills.  Realized I had to color two dozen eggs and stuff 150 eggs for the Easter egg hunt.  Looked at my husband and H and decided to ask them to do it.  They whined.  It took H 30 minutes to color the eggs and it took my husband 1 1/2 hours to stuff the plastic eggs with candy and/or money.

I like delegating.  This is new to me.  I used to do it at work because it was part of my job but I seldom do it at home.  I think at work I felt it was a sign of a strong leader and at home, not delegating is sign of a strong mother.

Not anymore.

I used the extra time not coloring or stuffing eggs to take a bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment