Friday, April 9, 2010

haircuts and weight (lyn)

I get an email today from someone I saw yesterday, and before that, hadn’t seen in only a few weeks.  She writes: It was nice seeing you yesterday in your new shape!

And then later adds, in another email: You look great, by the way.  Keep it up!

Also yesterday, Alexander’s SAT tutor (whom I last saw on Saturday) commented.  “Wow.  I know you said you were on WeightWatchers but now I can really see it.”

It reminds me of needing a haircut. 

Everyday you look in the mirror and your hair is the same as it was the day before, more or less.  And then one day you wake up, look in the mirror, and think, “I need to schedule an appointment to get my hair cut today.  It looks awful.”

You can be losing weight for months, and no one notices. And then suddenly people start commenting.  Maybe it’s because you’ve begun to change what you wear.  From a looser fitting style to a tighter one (I think that may be true in my case).  Or maybe you begin to carry yourself with more confidence (I certainly know that I feel better about me).  Or maybe you really do look thinner than the day before.

Whatever it is, it’s a rather strange phenomenon.  But I also think it should encourage people who say, “I’ve lost all this weight and no one notices.”  They will, and it may just happen over night, literally.  Just like needing that haircut!

No comments:

Post a Comment