Saturday, April 10, 2010

showtime (m)

H's skating club puts on an ice show each year.  Three shows over the weekend.  Olympic medalists and national medalists come.  It's the largest amateur show in the country.

It's also an opportunity for every parent to get involved in something big, important and fun vs. what they do every day.  This, in my opinion, is the most entertaining part of the show.

Picture this:  a dentist, the country's leading expert on root canals, is in charge of operations.  An ER nurse is in charge of the "quick change area" (kids getting out of one costume and into another in under two minutes); a foreign currency arbitrage expert is in charge of ticket sales.  People who work by day in computer technology all seem to gravitate to running the spotlights.  A retired bus driver announces the skaters.

Meanwhile, yours truly gets assigned to nothing.  I am a little hurt thinking they think I have no transferable skills.

Then, I get a phone call.  "M...will you host the dinner for the guest skaters?"  Food.  They put me on food.

Essentially, I have to take two Olympic silver medalists and one National medalist (men's) out to dinner this evening.  And my mother.

My stomach already is in knots.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment