Friday, April 16, 2010

a working lunch (lyn)

The school benefit (May 11th) is getting closer.  Today we meet to iron out specific details of the event.  A great group of about 10 volunteers gather at S’s house around noon.  Again, S has done an amazing job of preparing a broad offering of delicious-looking foods.  On the table, where we all sit, is a fruit platter, a bowl of popcorn (I didn’t want to ask if it was fat free for fear of sounding ridiculous), cream cheese, bagels, a white fish spread, lox, egg salad, and a spinach salad with blue cheese.

The meeting starts and we begin to serve ourselves lunch.  I behave well:  spinach salad with balsamic vinegar (no oil), some lox (no bagels), and Pellegrino.  But then the meeting drags on.  How many tables do we need?  How many 8 foot ones?  How many 4 foot ones?  Where should they be placed?  What should the signs say?  Do we even need a sign that shows the schedule for the night?  All kinds of minute details.  I take some more lox, only this time I add some cream cheese.  Not too much, maybe two tablespoons worth.  More discussion.  

And then the pièce de résistance.   The arrival of  S’s chocolate chip mandel bread.  Everyone remembers this from the last meeting.  It’s S’s secret family recipe.  And everyone again raves how outrageously good it is.  I plan to resist.  But then, more talk.   Are you sure we need 120 feet of tables?    How many free standing signs and how many tabletops?  What should we call the boutique that’s cash and carry?    Who gets name badges?  I take a piece.  It lives up to its reputation.  I get up to leave but the conversation wanders more into my territory.  Marketing.  How should we design the gift boutique?  What kind of name badges should we use:  the ones on lanyards, pins, or magnets?  Who will be ordering the easels?  What specifically do we need to provide to the person handling all the printing?  


That’s it.  I can’t help it.  I take another piece of the mandel bread.  I figure the two pieces are about 7 points, or 40% of what I’m allowed daily.  Not that it's much of a concession, but at least I skipped the bagel.

No comments:

Post a Comment