Friday, December 30, 2011

end of year blowout (lyn)

The stores are marking down everything.  It’s hard to leave the house and not buy something.  It must be at least 50% off to even be considered.  If it’s not, go home and find it online somewhere for less.  So in the spirit of trying not to buy, I’ve switched my year-end allegiance from buying to eating, consuming all edibles placed in front of me.  At least that’s how it feels.

Tonight, my friends Andrea and Veej host a small dinner party at their apartment.  Having come underdressed to last night's get-together, I wear a little black skirt, white top, and cashmere V-neck.  




I open the door to the party and everyone there is in jeans with nice tops.  

The evening starts with two big bowls of Andrea’s magnificent guacamole, chips, and some toasts with fig jam and cheese.  I take a glass of red wine (one of many I’ll have) and sit down.  Unfortunately, one of the bowls of guacamole is within easy reach, and I think I eat the entire bowl by myself.  That alone could be dinner, but it’s just the beginning.

Veej has made short ribs that are so tender, knives are not needed.  Andrea serves a green bean with tomatoes and almonds dish that is outstanding, and the mashed potatoes are more interesting and taste better than any mashed potatoes I’ve had before.  Everyone eats everything.  I’m relieved that dessert is strawberries and grapes.  But then two boxes of chocolates are placed in front of me, so to be polite (yeah, right!) I sample a couple of these too.  

As good as the food is, the company is even better.  Aside from one couple, I know everyone fairly well, but tonight get to know them better.  And the more I know them, the more I realize how lucky I am to have such smart, funny, and kind friends.  It’s a truly lovely night.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:10 PM EST

    It is our pleasure to count you as one of our friends! --Andrea

    ReplyDelete