Monday, December 5, 2011

first meal with my new wok (lyn)

I invite Robyn for dinner.  She will understand if my first wok dinner turns out to be a disaster. 

I already have the seasoning ingredients and today, I go to Fairway and buy a pound of already-cut chicken and lots of stir fry vegetables.  

Though I had planned to season my wok yesterday, I forgot.  I remember this needs to be done when Robyn arrives for dinner.  It takes about an hour to season, so we talk and cut and clean and chop while we wait.  

When the wok is ready, and all the ingredients prepared, we:
  • Heat 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil in the wok.
  • Add salt and peppered chicken. 
  • Stir, toss and turn.
  • Take the chicken out piece by piece to make sure it is cooked through.
  • Throw out the remaining oil and fat and start again.
  • Heat 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil.
  • Dump in all the vegetables.
  • Stir, stir stir.
  • Add back the chicken.
  • Sprinkle generously with soy ginger sauce.
  • Stir some more.
  • Add a little hoisin sauce.
  • Keep stirring and tossing.
The result, a few minutes later, looks gorgeous.  And it tastes as good as it looks.


After dinner Robyn asks, “Do you think it's worth all the work?  Ordering in is so much easier.”  

I actually enjoyed the process; the meal is healthy; the clean up is easy; and I have enough left over for dinner tonight.  

So the answer to Robyn’s question is a resounding yes!  Next try will be with shrimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment