Monday, December 12, 2011

shopping with my mother (lyn)

My mother needs a new coat so I tell her about Uniqlo.  There’s a Jil Sander long coat for $129.99 that I think she’ll love; I go there to buy it for her. 

Midtown is a zoo.  People everywhere.  Pushing, shoving, ogling, talking, absorbing the sparkling beauty of New York at Christmas time. 

I get to the store.  Walk up one flight.  Pass through two big sections to get to the back.  Find the coat I thought would be perfect.  But now I’m not so sure.  It’s a big coat and my mom is small.  I try to call her but there’s no reception.  I walk back down the stairs.  Still, my call fails.  I have to leave the store to get reception.  I’m now outside on Fifth and 53rd calling my mom.  I tell her my concerns about the coat.

Me:  I think the coat might be too big a style for you.  It's pretty puffy.
Her:  Well how puffy is it?
Me:  I don’t know. Not as sleek as the North Face (which she knows) but not huge.
Her:  What size do you think I need?
Me:  These run large so I think a medium would be fine.
Her:  Are you sure you don’t think I should get a large?
Me:  No, the medium is plenty big.
Her:  Can you find someone my size to try it on?
Me:  I already looked.  I found one women who told me she was a size 6; she wouldn’t tell me her weight.
Her:  I’m not sure.  Do you think the North Face would be better?
Me:  I don’t know.  They are entirely different coats.  One is more slimming but also more common.  The other is more stylish but is definitely puffier.
Her:   Is it real puffy?
Me:  I don’t know what real puffy means, but it is puffier than the North Face.
Her:  Well, I do need a nice coat.
Me:  Ok.  So do you want it if I can figure out the size?
Her:  I’m not sure.  Maybe I should get the North Face.
Me:  Ok.  Whatever you say.
Her:  I’m nervous about getting it without seeing it.
Me:  Ok.  Then maybe you should get the North Face.
Her:  I don't know; what do you think?
Me:  Well, if you want a stylish coat, get the Jil Sander, but if you want a thin, everyday coat, then get the North Face.
Her:  The North Face is $300 but Macy's is selling it for 20% off.
Me:  That's a good deal.  Maybe you should get it, but it would still cost more that the Jil Sander coat.
Her:  How much is the Jil Sander coat again?
Me:  $129.90
Her:  But what if it doesn't fit?
Me:  Well, you have 30 days to return it.  You can mail it back.  Why don't I send you both the medium and the large and than you can try them both on and decide.
Her:  No, just get the large.
Me:  I really think the large will be too big.
Her:  You know, maybe I'll just get the North Face.

I hang up still determined to find my mom the right coat.  I go back and try another department.

This time I find a short coat (only $79.90) in exactly the thin down I know my mom likes.  I go back downstairs and out the front door to call my mom again.  I tell her about this other coat.

Her:  Oh, that sounds good.  I need a short coat too.
Me:  Perfect.  So that’s what I’ll get you.  The black is nice, very slimming.
Her:  :  What kind of collar does it have?
Me:  I have no idea.
Her:  Does it have a hood?
Me:  I don’t know.  I don’t think so.
Her:  I like a high collar.
Me:  I don’t know what kind of collar it has, but I’m sure it’ll be fine.
Her:  How long is it?
Me:  It would come to about your hips.
Her:  Will it cover my tush?
Me:  I’m not sure, but I don’t think so.
Her:  Ok, it sounds great, and I need a short coat.
Me:  Good; I’ll go buy it.
Her:  Okay, what’s the collar like again?

I go back upstairs, find the coat, and also find a model.  She looks about the same height and size as my mom, and she’s already trying on the same coat as the one I want to buy.  After deciding on a large, I tell my model about the Jil Sander coats.  She wants to see them.  We go down the escalator and back up the escalator next to it.  Obviously I’m not paying attention.  I apologize and we go back down the escalator again, and up a flight of stairs to the Jil Sander section where she tries on the Jil Sander long coat.  The size medium overwhelms her.  I’m relieved.  Had it looked great, I’d have to call my mom and begin again deliberating our decision. 

Two hours after arriving, I leave the store with the size large short down coat.  I hope my mom likes it; I’m pretty sure it’ll fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment