Friday, October 2, 2009

adjustment (lyn)

I remember after 9-11, I had this feeling that I would never be able to enjoy the City again.   That there would always be this underlying fear.  I was lucky in that I didn’t know anyone who died that day, but the sense of loss permeated the entire city.  Restaurants were empty.  Signs of missing people dotted the trees on the streets I walked.  Everyone had a story of where they were, what they saw, or who they knew.  But now, 8 years later, the City is alive again, and my fears have significantly diminished, even when I hear of the latest foiled terrorist attacks planned for the subway.  Life is normal again.

And now I wonder if I will ever view eating in the same way as “before.”  I hope the feeling I have now toward food will stay with me always, and not lessen as time passes.  I don’t mean to in any way trivialize weight-loss by comparing it to 9-11.  I am just trying to make the point that it is possible to adjust to a new normal.  And in this case, the new normal is a better one.

No comments:

Post a Comment