Sunday, October 18, 2009

weathering the storm (m)

I'm reading Ted Kennedy's memoir True Compass.  In it, he describes learning to sail in Hyannis as a young boy.   I picture the beautiful blue skies and ocean that is Cape Cod in summer.  It sounds so idyllic, it makes me want to set sail.

A few chapters later, he describes a trip by ship across the Atlantic when his father, Joseph P. Kennedy, was made Ambassador to England.  Out on the open, rough seas in winter,  Teddy was sick the whole way.

What's interesting is that the boy never imagined that the seas could be so unpleasant.  Up until then, his only experiences with the ocean had been positive.

I think I understand this dual perspective when it comes to dieting discipline.

When I am alone in the house, I don't think about food.  I plan my menu and get only what I need, eat it and then move on to whatever project I'm working on.  The more projects I have, the less food involved I am.

When I have other people to provide for or interact with, it gets more complicated and more difficult. 

This week was exceptionally challenging....my equivalent of a trans-atlantic journey on rough seas:

* Sam and a friend came home from college for mid-term break.  Both are hockey players and in training for the upcoming season.  My mother says they eat like they are going to the electric chair.  Sam had a list of home-cooked food he's been craving.  I made it for him and his friend and then sat across from them and ate my meal.  This went on from Wednesday to Sunday. Six meals.
* Friday night was the send-offs for Harrison's skating club.  There was a formal dinner.  I ate my dinner before going there and just drank seltzer while there.
* My aunt's 85th birthday party was like a Roman orgy.  I ate the turkey, fruit and salad and drank seltzer. 
* I had two business meetings --a breakfast and a lunch with my former VP of R&D at my favorite restaurant.  I had steamed shrimp and broccoli and some brown rice and iced tea.  I watched him eat a thick seafood gumbo stew.
* Today was my younger son Harrison's birthday.  He wanted his favorite dinner--stir fry chicken, rice and mixed vegetables.  He also got homemade cookies and a cake.  I ate some chicken and a salad.

I am finding I have strength I never knew I had when it comes to discipline around food.

 Harrison made an astute observation: "Mom you have the best work ethic of anyone when it comes to your job and taking care of us and the house.  All you have to do is use it for yourself and you'll go all the way."

I feel I am heading into calmer waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment