Friday, October 16, 2009

wwyd? (m)

What Would You Do in this situation?

 You agree to meet two women at a restaurant at 8:30 a.m. to discuss a business venture.  One is an entrepreneur who has started a successful little business and sells her product line on QVC.  They love her.  The other is a former colleague and current friend who was a senior executive at a major company based in New York and even started and sold her own successful business.  You're there to talk about a Board of Directors position for you and a CEO position for your friend. 

It's a business meeting... but at a restaurant...first thing in the morning.

Do you:

a. eat breakfast before the meeting? OR
b. assume the meeting is a breakfast meeting and eat at the restaurant?

If you answered, "b", you and I are aligned.

So, I arrive hungry.  I planned to order an egg white omelet with  broccoli, mushrooms and onions, cooked in PAM.  Hold the bread.  No home fries.  For a beverage, I'll have an unsweetened ice tea, no lemon (I read they don't wash the lemons well and you can get sick from this).  I even planned to eat only half the omelet.

We all gather.  Coffee is served.  Wasn't planning to have coffee, but I'm adaptable.  I make a note to count the milk in the coffee as one of my milk servings today.

The waiter says, "Would you ladies care to order breakfast?".  The QVC woman says she already ate.  Your friend says she's all set.  The waiter looks at me.

Do you:

a. order your omelet? OR
b. order nothing? OR
c. order a fruit plate?

If you answered "a", I imagine Weight Watchers would give you a gold star.  I did not do this.

Here's where judgement comes in.  What I didn't tell you is that both women combined probably weigh less than I do.  I was not about to sit there and be the only one eating.  I felt that would look like I couldn't control my impulses. 

So, I ordered a fruit plate that we all could share.  I had a couple of pineapple chunks and some cantaloupe.  They each had one thing.

The meeting was over in an hour.  I made it home in time to make myself that omelet just before I passed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment