Saturday, October 10, 2009

foreign acts (lyn)

Today is Saturday.  I get up early and go to my newly-discovered Farmer’s Market.  Having now been there for the past two weeks, I know what I’m buying before I arrive:  one peasant bread, two boxes of the home grown strawberries, one box of raspberries, and two boxes of the small vine ripened tomatoes.  As I am buying the bread, I notice the home-baked cinnamon bun.  Without much difficulty, I ignore buying it.  And then I begin to think of the many ways my behavior has changed in the past three and a half weeks. 


So, here’s a partial list, in random order, of some things I now do (that I didn’t before) and conversely, some things I no longer do:


               Ask the butcher to “trim” my meat, and settle for only .58 pounds of a prime strip steak
               Compulsively look up the calories and fat content of various foods 
               Feel guilty for eating what I know I shouldn’t (though this has only happened once, at the Rosh Hashanah meal)
               Buy frozen entrees, and actually eat and enjoy them (though I much prefer fresh foods)
               Like all-natural-low-fat-Greek yogurt, especially with strawberries, and blueberries or raspberries added
               Never eat dessert (unless it’s a very special occasion, angel food cake, or a WW 100-calorie ice cream bar 
               Download Weight Watchers mobile onto my iPhone
               Re-configure my list at Costco and add things like Boca burgers and Weight Watchers ice cream
               Eat many many more fruits and vegetables
               Look forward to seeing people I haven’t seen in a few weeks and hope they notice me shrinking
               Not make an every-other-week trip to Zabars to buy their Schick’s 7-layer cake, and then have a slice for dessert every night
               Talk to M many times daily (so glad we don't live in the same world I grew up in where you had to limit 'long-distance' phone calls)
               Eat in except for special occasions
               Weigh myself regularly, something I totally avoided doing for the past year or more
               Talk, think, read, write (and even dream, yes, really) about food (or food-related topics) all day-every day
               Walk by the woman offering samples of new cheese dips at Agata
               No longer include avocado in every salad 
               Go to a school function and eat the fruit rather than the Danish and home-cooked muffins 
               Never eat Chinese, Thai, Korean or Vietnamese food because (a) I know it must be a ton of points and (b) I wouldn’t even know how to calculate them
               Forgo a burger and fries, one of my favorite foods
               Never eat muffins or bagels for breakfast (even though my handy WW book, Complete Food Companion, claims a mini muffin is only 1 point---I don’t believe it)


Get up every morning knowing I’m getting thinner!


Two asides:  can't get the spacing and bullets right on this post, so please excuse the mess;  and, welcome Caesar, our new follower).

No comments:

Post a Comment