Tuesday, October 20, 2009

expectations (lyn)

At the end of his sophomore year in high school, my son decides that he wants to play football.  Until this point, he has only played in some touch football games, and has never shown a strong interest in even following the game on TV.  But his passion knows no bounds.

He begins a campaign to convince me, as I’m fearful of his playing.  At 5’10”, 150 pounds, he is not big.  But he is relentless in changing my mind.  He wages forceful and rational arguments.  And to further prove his interest, he creates a summer work out plan that is impressive.  We spend most of the summer on the Cape at my parents, and he works out almost every day, for about two hours.  My sister, who works out all the time, is impressed with his commitment.  My parents are amazed at his dedication.  And I see his body getting stronger and his interest not waning.  I ponder, I research, I question.   I also consult with my nephews who are all Division One athletes (in lacrosse, but they also played football in HS).  I say ok.

So as a junior, my son joins the Horace Mann Football team (there are no cuts).  The team is young (few juniors and seniors) and inexperienced.  Many of the players have never played before.  The team has no history together.  But boy do they work hard.

My son practices six hours a day for two weeks before school starts.  It’s so hot, but he never complains.  He loves it.  Once school starts, there is practice after school.  Alexander doesn’t get home until 6:45 each day, and then has about 4-5 hours of homework ahead of him.  But that’s okay.  He’s found a sport he loves.

He studies football stats.  He quizzes me on my knowledge.  Name five players for the Giants or Jets.  (I can't).  Who are some of the best all-time Quarterbacks?  (I can name a few).  What’s a first down?  (I actually know).  What’s a pick?  (I don’t know).  Football finds its way  into most of our conversations.

But the team is not good.  They only play six games a season, and have already played four, losing every one.  By a lot.  Thirty points or more.

So for this week’s Homecoming game we are still hoping for a win, but will be happy with less.  Making more first downs would be good.  Getting on the scoreboard would be better.  Closing the gap between the winning score and the HM score would make everyone happy.

As for me, I am hoping to lose a total of twenty pounds by Thanksgiving.  But I’d still be happy with fifteen.  I just want my loss to be noticeable.

It’s all about managing expectations.




No comments:

Post a Comment