Friday, October 30, 2009

little food, much angst (lyn)

Today turns out to be a low-eating day.  It begins with a planning meeting for this year’s school Benefit.  While there is great food offered, I just have coffee.  


After the meeting, I run some errands and come home to deal with my diseased computer.   Following is an actual transcript from my online chat with Norton. 
I write:
“I need software to fix a virus called W97M that has attached itself to my Office Word documents. I am running MAC OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard).  I read that you will soon have a virus protection product for this Operating System.  Do you know when this will product be released?

Below is the transcript of the online chat that ensued.   It could be a play by Ionesco.

Namith: You are being transferred to Namith.
Namith: Welcome to Norton Live Spyware & Virus Removal Service.
Is this the first time you are contacting us?
Lyn: yes
Namith: Please confirm your email address is  _______  and direct phone number is ______   . Is that correct?
Lyn: yes
Namith: Please provide me your alternate phone number or mobile number.
Lyn: don't have one
Namith: Please tell me which country you are connected from.
Lyn: this is taking way too long...can you pls just answer my question.  I’m from usa...do you have an anti virus sofware compatible with Mac OX 10.6 (snow leopard) and if not, when will one be released?
Namith: Which Operating System do you have on the computer? (Operating System would mean Windows Vista, Windows XP, Mac OS, etc.)
Lyn: as I just wrote (see above) MAC 10.6
Namith: We do not support computer running on Mac Operating System. We have separate department for the same, I shall transfer you.

After another 15 minutes with another person, the final answer was that they don’t know when a compatible product will be released.

I’m so caught up in this mess that I only have a bowl of fruit for lunch, eating it while I am waiting for Namith who must be masquerading as a customer service rep for Halloween.  Soon it’s 5pm and I need to leave by 5:30. 

I rush through a dinner of roasted tomatoes, grilled tuna and sugar snaps, with a Weight Watchers ice cream for dessert.  I meet Robyn to see an off-Broadway play billed as a comedy about a 60-something married couple who are contemplating suicide.  It isn't funny at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment