Tuesday, October 6, 2009

mammogram (m)

Annual mammogram this morning.   "Have you gained or lost weight since last year?" the woman asked.  Well, about 16 pounds, I said.  She looked at me more carefully: "Yeah, that doesn't matter.  We're looking for significant changes."

Nice.

You know the drill, they stretch and pull and smoosh you like a pancake.  I had an out of body experience when I looked down and saw this glob of flesh and wondered how something that looked so far away it needed its own zipcode could possibly be part of me.

Next year this will be easier.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:12 PM EDT

    I like the, "don't move, don't move..." directive. As IF...please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to mention the ever helpful "don't breathe" - ah, yeah, not a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and - phooey on the mammogram nurse/tech person, 16 is significant!! good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all! I forgot to mention that as I was leaving, the technician (about a size 16 herself) asked me how I lost the weight.

    That, to me, IS significant.

    M

    ReplyDelete