Monday, October 19, 2009

space invasion (lyn)

I learn something about my son today.  He, too, does not want a mouse living with us.  Last night he researched mice and learned that they do not see well but have a strong sense of smell, which makes it all the more imperative, he tells me, that no food be exposed.


The super came up today and now I have glue traps lined up around my walls.  I dread the thought of catching one, but more than that I dread the thought of not catching one and thinking he is hiding out somewhere.


A few years ago I read this story about a family living in a nice building on the Upper Westside.  One day the mom opened a drawer and saw a boa constrictor nestled in with her child’s clothes.  She immediately found the appropriate snake expert to come and remove the snake.  But when the expert arrived and went to the drawer, the snake was no longer there.  It apparently was someone’s pet that had escaped. So now the snake could be anywhere.


That story horrified me.  I think I would have had to move. 


Okay, so this is just a mouse.  That may or may not still be in our apartment.  But just to be safe, my son and I take precautions.    We remove all food from the kitchen counters, even those foods that are covered.  We refrigerate the grape tomatoes that were in a bowl. Because we don’t have a breadbox, even the breads now go in the fridge. And after dinner is made but before it is eaten, we cover and refrigerate any leftovers (in this case, only cooked penne).


The Brussel Sprout recipe from yesterday was so good that there were no leftovers, and the shrimp recipe from yesterday was so tasteless that we wouldn’t think of saving it for another day.




No comments:

Post a Comment