Sunday, October 18, 2009

a lazy sunday (lyn)

It’s raining today.  A perfect day to stay in.  I wake up late.  It’s already 10am when I open my eyes.  I wake Alexander as he has, in typical teenage boy fashion, waited until Sunday to begin his homework.  Traces of him are all over our small apartment.  His books and papers are scattered atop the coffee table.  His clothes from the past three days are heaped in a pile in a corner of his room.  And his dishes from last night are resting in the sink.  He assumes I’ll just clean it up.  I say, “I’m becoming your maid.”  He responds, “And that’s a bad thing?"


We have a quick breakfast together.  One-half cup of Kellogg’s Special K (dry).  I’ve never had them before, and I find I like them.  I now have another healthy option for breakfast.  Alexander laughs when he hands me my bowl that appears to have so few flakes in it that you could almost count them (compared to his man-size bowl which could probably feed his entire football team).


I get dressed to go outside and run an errand.  Alexander asks where I’m going and I tell him to the health food store.  I find this comical as I don’t think that he has ever asked me where I am going and I have responded as I do today.  The only times I have even ever been to the health food store were to by Calcium with Vitamin D vitamins, fish oil vitamins (that I nearly choke on), or an all-natural lip plumper that my friend Robyn swears by.  Today, though, I am  going to buy food.  I end up buying three frozen boxes of Dr. Praeger littles—one in spinach, one in broccoli, and one in potato.  My son looks at the boxes when I get home and generously offers to try the potato littles.


I get an email from Julie.  I haven’t seen Julie in awhile, and Julie and her husband Ken and I are going to see Wishful Drinking (a new play with Carrie Fisher) next week.  They live in Connecticut, about an hour from the city, so we don’t get together as often as we’d both like.   Julie suggests dinner before theater and I get anxious.  I want to see Julie and Ken and know that the only time to really talk is over dinner and I certainly don’t want to sound like, or worse, become, one of these obnoxious dieters who aren’t fun anymore because they can never eat out or who are constantly discussing what they can and cannot eat or who make you feel guilty for enjoying french fries.  I write back and say dinner would be great and suggest sushi.


I spend about an hour looking for recipes on the ww website that meet my criteria:  easy to make, have ingredients I like, are low in points, and would also appeal to my son.  I find three (Easy Rosemary Shrimp,  Angel Hair Pasta with Eggplant-Tomato Sauce, and Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Shallots).     I‘ll maybe try them this week.


I go to Agata and finally, Angel food cake with no icing is available.  I buy a slice, along with ¼ pound of lox, pay $10 and leave.  (Lox with one tablespoon of whipped cream cheese on Arnold’s sandwich thins with a slice of tomato is a good 3-point lunch.  Not nearly as good as a bagel and lox, but not a huge sacrifice either).


I make some 1-point popcorn and relax with a good book. After awhile I decide to take a break, I look through my closet for “old” jeans.  The size 8 Michael Kors fit, but the size 29 Lucky Jeans don’t.  They will be my aspirational jeans.  I hope I’ll fit in them by year-end.  The size 28 Paige jeans, a pair in dark blue denim and another pair in grey, will be my goal jeans—to fit in them by next Spring.  I end my break and go back to reading.


I share a sushi dinner with Alexander as we watch Pam and Jim from The Office get married.


Overall, an unexciting but still nice rainy Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment