Wednesday, October 14, 2009

wishful thinking (lyn)


I love Wednesdays.  It’s my Weight Watchers meeting day and official weigh-in. 


I now have a strategy.  Eat nothing before arriving and wear as little as possible.  It takes me three wardrobe changes before I settle on one.  I know you are supposed to wear the same thing each week so the weigh-in is consistent, but now the weather is changing and walking around Manhattan in shorts, when the temperature is only 50 degrees, would just look stupid.  So when I plan what to wear for today, I am really planning what will become my “outfit” for every Wednesday, at least until spring.

I ultimately decide on black leggings, and a lightweight white t-shirt.  I strip myself of all jewelry, and even remove the elastic band from my hair.  As I put on the little-makeup I wear, I debate between the tinted moisturizer and actual face makeup, before concluding that I am being ridiculous…make-up, even a lot, is not going to add any ounces to my weight.

I go to the meeting, and learn that I have only lost .8 pounds since last week.  I am told not to worry, especially since I lost so much in the prior two weeks.  I am encouraged.  Then I’m told that sometimes three or four weeks go by, and it's possible to lose nothing.  This horrifies me, as I want to be down a total of 20 pounds by Thanksgiving (I’ve lost 9.4 pounds to date). 

I like the 45-minute class.  The women in it are smart, funny, honest and interesting.  And Steve, our leader, does a great job of moving the things along, imparting interesting information, and always providing humor.  Surprisingly, it’s never boring.

I’m enjoying the process of losing weight.  I’m doing something positive and healthy.  And if I continue doing what I’m doing, I can reasonably expect to reach my goal no later than mid-May.

I wish there existed a Weight-Watchers equivalent for the other major areas of my life where I need help, most specifically in finding a job.

Wouldn’t it be great if there were such a thing? Go to meetings.  Write X number of letters.  Avoid Y kind of interviews.  Approach Z kinds of companies.  And in a specified period of time you get the perfect job!

Ah, if only.

No comments:

Post a Comment