Saturday, October 24, 2009

too much of a good thing (m)

I've been away these past couple of days with my younger son who was competing in the New England Championships in ice skating so we've got some catching up to do.

Thursday was the day from Hell. 

It began with me taking him to school in Cambridge in rush-hour traffic at 7 a.m....a daily occurrence.  Then, I had to go back home to finish loading the car for the trip...skates, bags, boot dryer, tub to ice his ankles after competing....normal stuff like that.

After that, I had to rush into Boston for a meeting.  No time for a hot breakfast, so I grabbed a cup of 100% Bran Buds and some skim milk and ate it quickly before heading out.

Raced through the meeting and then had to go back to Cambridge to get him and take him to the rink for a last practice on home ice before heading to Vermont.  While at the rink, I had a snack--a 100 calorie bag of popcorn.

Around 2 pm, I gassed up the car and got him some lunch.  I realized then that I had left my turkey sandwich home (not to worry, you-know-who will scarf it up), but I needed to eat lunch before the 4-hour drive.  Eddie, the cook at the rink, told me to have a small bowl of his lentil soup.  It was great and hit the spot.

During the long drive, I snacked on an apple and had two bottles of water.

We got to Vermont, checked into the hotel and joined some other parents and skaters for a quick dinner.  I had salad with grilled fish and steamed broccoli and two large glasses of unsweetened ice tea.

The official practice ice was 9:20- 9:50 p.m.  It was in another town and my GPS abandoned me in the dark about two miles from the rink over by Lake Champlain.  My son and I looked at each other in horror when "Pat" (our name for the GPS voice...she also speaks French, very smart lady) told us she was done guiding us and for us to "check the local signs" to find our destination.  I thought it was nerves when I heard my stomach gurgle.

We called a friend who guided us to the rink (she had just finished there) and I settled my nerves with a cup of tea and another apple while my son did his last practice of the day.

On the drive back to the hotel, my stomach was gurgling like crazy.  I'm not usually this nervous, I thought.

Got into the lobby and realized it wasn't just nerves....I had to "go". 

Ran past the bowl of large red apples in the lobby and realized why.

Too much fiber today.

No comments:

Post a Comment