Saturday, October 24, 2009

eating simplification (lyn)

I realized today that I rearrange my schedule in subtle ways to accommodate my new eating habits.


Today was homecoming at Horace Mann, and despite beautiful fall weather all week, today it rained.  And rained.  And rained.  Alexander’s football game was scheduled for 3pm, and Zelia offered me a ride up at 11:00am.  I was all set to go, until Shari called and said she was driving up at 1:00.  I opted to go with Shari, not because I wanted to arrive at Horace Mann later, and not because it was raining, but because it would make the food-thing easier.

You see, if I left at 11, I would have to deal with lunch…. where and what to eat.  For homecoming, the school was providing a free bar-b-que.  I knew it would be hard to resist. As a possible alternative,  I went on line and looked up the points for various Subway sandwiches, as there is a Subway a few blocks from the school.  The points seemed too high.  That, and I didn't really want to leave homecoming, to walk down the hill into town in order to satisfy my hunger in a healthy way.  So I was relieved when Shari called and offered me a post-lunch ride.  This way, I could eat my lox-cream cheese-and Arnold thin sandwich and an apple at home.

As for the football game, the result was a disappointing 40 to 0.

I got home late and was going to an off-Broadway play with Carol.  She had asked yesterday about having dinner before theater, but I had declined, saying I would be home too late from the game, which turned out to be accurate.  I got home around 6:10, changed out of my wet clothes, practically inhaled asparagus, shrimp cocktail, and Chilean sea bass, and left by 6:40.  When I had declined Carol’s offer to eat out, the real reason was to avoid a restaurant experience where it would be more difficult to stay on plan.  I felt less exposed just saying I’d be home from the game too late.

Until I am in closer range of my goal-weight, I’ll continue to eat most meals in.  It's a lot less complicated that way.  But less social too, and that I don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment