Tuesday, May 18, 2010

7 1/4 hours today = 38 minutes nine years ago (lyn)

Here’s my day:

  • Get up; drink some coffee with a tablespoon of half and half.
  • Meet my terrific 20-something crew leader around 10 to give her my daily timesheet, completed questionnaires, and to commiserate over the banalities of the job.
  • Spend the next five hours knocking on doors, cajoling doormen into letting me into their buildings, filling out forms, and making calls. Grab a VitaMuffin and bowl of popcorn between interviews.
  • Take a quick dinner break of a tuna sandwich, Pringles and a pickle around six.
  • Then it’s back out in the pouring rain knocking on more doors.
  • Return around 8, just as Alexander’s Physics tutor is leaving. 

As I’m writing this, I decide to do a quick calculation.

Let’s see.  I worked 7 hours and 15 minutes today.  At $18.75 an hour, that’s $135.94 (gross) for a full day of hard work.  Nine years ago I was consulting three days a week and earning $1,500 a day (and that was for a 7-hour work day).   So that calculates to  $214.29 an hour.  Looked at another way, what I earned today is the equivalent of about 38 minutes of work nine years ago.

If drinking didn’t use up so many points I might consider it.

No comments:

Post a Comment