Tuesday, May 18, 2010

off to see the wizard (m)

Appointment with Merlin today at 2 p.m.  I told my husband that, while I was looking forward to doing the physical therapy and seeing results, I wasn't looking forward to the process as I thought Merlin was joyless.

T looks at me as if I have two heads and says "he's not in the entertainment business."

I've been doing the at-home exercises faithfully.  The "clamshell" one is a b..tch.  You tie your knees together with a rubber band and open, hold for 5 sec, and then close.  30 reps on each side.  There is a whole page of these things.

I get there, change into bike shorts and go through the stations...bike, biofeedback (while flexing the quads), "bridge" with a ball then with a belt.  Leg pulleys, etc.  My face is red and the room temperature is high.  I jokingly ask if they are holding a Bikram yoga session afterwards in that room.  He looks at me.  "No.  We don't do yoga here."  How am I going to get through 12 sessions with this guy?

Just when I couldn't take anymore, Merlin calls me over to a table and proceeds to give my hips and calfs the best massage ever.  Positively transcendental.  Then he stretches my legs.  Much better than when I do it myself.

And if that weren't enough, I get up, stand in front of the mirror and see a slimmer version of myself.  I ask if the mirror is a slimming one.  "No.  It's a regular mirror."

As Annie sang when she first arrived at Daddy Warbucks' home:  "I think I'm gonna like it here."

No comments:

Post a Comment