Friday, May 7, 2010

two desserts and zero regrets (lyn)

Zelia and I go to see an off-Broadway play tonight, Parent’s Evening.  Before leaving,  I eat what has now become my standard eat-and-run dinner:  tuna fish on a roll, with 14 Pringle Lights and a pickle. 

The play is great.  It’s a two-act, two-person play about the strains on a marriage, brought on by the demands of work, a child, and different outlooks on life.  The male lead is a needy but warm man.  He craves constant affirmation of his wife’s love.  I was once in a relationship like this and felt smothered.  Afterwards, I tended to gravitate toward men who barely needed me at all.  They probably didn’t, as those relationships never lasted.

The play is only 80 minutes.  Zelia hasn’t eaten, so when the play ends,  she asks that I accompany her to a cute little Italian bistro across from the theater.  We are the only diners in the restaurant until Sigourney Weaver arrives with a group of six.  They sit right behind us, and discuss theater (she and her husband are founders of the theater we have just left). 

I could eat a whole second dinner but don’t.  Zelia always eats healthy and light, and orders only a small eggplant parmigiana.  I have a glass of red wine.  Tonight’s effect is not the usual one…I don’t get tired; I don’t get nauseous; I just talk a lot. 

I get home around 10:30 and Alexander is studying.  He’s committed himself to not having any fun until the school year ends in a month.  I wish he would go out more, but I understand his resolve to do the best he can possibly do as junior year grades and SAT2’s and AP exams and Finals carry a lot of weight on his transcript.  I am all of a sudden ravenous.  I decide I’ll have a dessert, since I haven’t had one tonight.

Last week I bought a Schick’s jellyroll at Zabars.  I actually stood there, in Zabars, and pulled out my IPhone, accessed my WeightWatchers app, and calculated the points per slice:  only 3.  Fortunately, I wasn’t caught doing this, otherwise I’d have been so embarrassed I’d probably have had to give up ever shopping at Zabars again.  Then, I came home and pre-cut the roll into 10 slices, as the packaging said the roll contains 10 servings.  I still can’t believe I do this. 

Being so hungry, I took one slice of the jellyroll.  I swear, it tasted better than anything I’ve ever eaten.  I have to wonder if maybe the wine was cut with some grass.  The roll tasted so good I had another piece.  And that was as good as the first.  Probably not the wisest choice, but certainly a satisfying one.

No comments:

Post a Comment