Wednesday, May 12, 2010

vinyl siding (m)

My husband is a thoroughbred Yankee.  He doesn't go for flash and sizzle, preferring instead things that are authentic. He does not care about what appears to be right but is more concerned with what he views to be right.

Years ago, we lived in this beautiful little brick house on Commonwealth Avenue in Chestnut Hill.  The only wood on the house were the shutters.  After some time, the shutters were looking a little "tired."  It wasn't just the paint, it was the wood.  They were the original shutters on the house (1915) and the slats were starting to deteriorate.  We were newly married and the cost to replace all 30 oversized shutters was, for us at that time, astronomical.

I mentioned this shutter situation to my boss at work.  B was a great guy, Hollywood handsome.  He strutted about the office like the alpha male that he was.  He wore nice suits and shoes but always had a piece of gum in his mouth and applied Chapstick liberally throughout the day.  B lived in an historic home from the early 1800's in a quaint ocean-side town down the Cape.  I had never seen the house but heard it was charming.  B smiled when I told him my problem and said "vinyl siding."  He said he had just done HIS WHOLE HOUSE in vinyl siding.  "You'd never know the difference.  I defy anyone who says otherwise."

I went home and relayed this to my husband.  He looked horrified.  "He put VINYL SIDING on an historic house?!"  Yes...he says you won't know the difference, I said.  My husband  looked at me and said, "I'd know."

What he meant was that whether or not one could tell the difference (including himself), the real issue is that he would know the material was vinyl.  That was all he needed to know to not even consider it.

Last night, I went to a reception for the alumni interviewers from my college.  We had a meeting to wrap up the interviewing season.  A banner year...30,000 applicants, 6.9% acceptance rate.

I hadn't seen these people since the kick-off meeting at my house in October.  I am about 50 pounds less than I was at that time.  I dressed for maximum effect (all black...what a surprise).

Not one person commented on my weight loss. 

Am I disappointed?  Yes...on the other hand, it doesn't take away from the fact that I KNOW I've lost alot of weight and feel better than I have in years.

Knowing that is enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment