Friday, May 21, 2010

me and rules (lyn)

I’m a great follower of rules.  Assuming I understand them. Or more specifically, assuming I understand and agree with them.

Education
I was an all A student in High School and through most of college.  The rules were simple --- study hard and you will get good grades. I did and I did.

Career
At most of the jobs I’ve had, the goals have been clearly laid out.  Achieve these goals and you’ll do well.   If only it had been that easy. Office politics are a big factor in moving from here to there.  When I work for someone smart and talented, I’m a star.  When I work for someone who’s not, I cannot shine.  I question too much, and develop a reputation for being difficult.  Or even worse.  I would never be described as a going-with-the flow kind of person.

Dieting
WeightWatchers, like any diet program, is filled with rules.  But the rules make sense, are effective, and can be easily followed.  Track your points.  Stay within them.  And you will loose weight.  That’s why I love this program.  Everything has been meticulously and brilliantly thought out and tested.   The program offers flexibility, provides support, and is easy to accomplish.  I follow the rules exactly as presented; I take no shortcuts;  and I’m rewarded with a 40-pound weight loss.

Current Employment
Now we get to the US Census Bureau, a federal agency, with rules for everything.  There’s a hierarchy that’s mind-boggling.  For example, my boss Brooke is a crew leader.  She’s early 20's, adorable, smart, reasonable, cool, and an absolute pleasure to work with.  Her boss, Cody, is made for a bureaucratic job.  Enough said.  The other day I was planning to meet with Brooke.  When I showed up, she happened to be sitting at a table with Cody.  I said to him, “Oh, while you’re here, I want to ask you a  couple of questions.”  In a very serious tone he said, “Direct all your questions to Brooke.”  Yesterday I ended up in a conversation with a peer of Cody’s on the phone.  I found her belligerent and unhelpful.  Not only that, she was giving me information that directly contradicted what I’d already been told.  When I questioned it, she became more indignant, as in, “Who are you to me questioning me?”  In real life, I’d probably be her boss five times removed.  She reported me to Cody as “very rude” and today Cody met with me to discuss this situation.  I offered to quit, but he said that wasn’t necessary (of course not;  I'm probably one of his biggest producers).  The end result, “Please don’t’ call anyone at the main office, and only deal with Brooke.”  With pleasure, I thought and said.

I am doing this job solely for the money.  I would clearly not be a good government worker.  The Codies of the world best perform these kind of jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment