Tuesday, May 4, 2010

on your mark, get set... (lyn)

Wait. 

I get a call a week ago Saturday night telling me that Census Training is starting the very next day at 9am.  I report for an 8-hour grueling day on Sunday, followed by five nights of training, 6 to 9, Monday through Friday.  Then, last Saturday, another two hours of in-field training.  I now know the forms.  Understand the acronyms.  Know what to do if I find a trailer parked in someone’s driveway on East 77th Street with people living in it.  I’m ready.  I’ve passed the initial test I took to qualify on March 26.  I pass the final exam I took in class on April 30.  And I pass the infield test after I interview an actual person.  Coty tells us last Saturday, ”You are now qualified to be enumerators.  A crew leader will call you tomorrow (that would have been Sunday).”

Sunday comes and goes; no calls.

Monday arrives.  Still no calls.  I leave a message for both Cody and the Local Census Office, or LCO as I’ve been taught to call it.  Cody never calls back and the LCO tells me, “Don’t worry.  Your crew leader will call you tonight.”  No one does.

Tuesday, 3:30.  My crew leader calls and we’re meeting tomorrow night.  Finally.

This might be my last evening of eating dinner at a normal time.  I celebrate with Alexander.  We watch 24, comment on Jack’s incomparable survival skills, and enjoy our dinner of rare grilled tuna, rice, a small salad, and carrots with snow peas.  

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:35 PM EDT

    Hey I read your blog and let me wish you good luck...I've been working as an enumerator for the last 4 days and its a mess, they have no clue on what they are doing, Im a CLA and Im trying to do everything I can just to my work done. Most of the people that I interviewed were super nice...My crew started with 15 and we are down to 7....It seems nobody wants to wok... But I just see it as an easy temp job with good pay! You are not going to need a diet during this weeks so dont worry, I already lost like 6 pounds.... WELL GOOD LUCK! from Miami.

    ReplyDelete