Sunday, May 16, 2010

a cooking party (lyn)

A few weeks ago I get an invitation from a friend of mine to “A Healthy Cooking Event” at her home, to be hosted by her sister (whom I’ve never met).  It is an intriguing invitation.  I imagine getting lessons in healthy cooking, with a few sample tastings included.

Today is the day of the event.  1:15 says the invitation. I eat one cup of gazpacho soup (3 points) before arriving, but only expect to be grazing.  I arrive a little late and already the living room is filled with about 12 women.  And I see that the dining table is set for a formal meal.  This is not the party I had anticipated.  I feel my jeans tightening as I contemplate how much and what to eat.

My friend’s sister (Ellice) is a holistic counselor and licensed massage therapist.  She does not look New-Agey.  Rather, she looks and sounds grounded, intelligent, and knowledgeable.  She begins by telling us a little story of how she got involved in healthy cooking.  Five years ago her husband is diagnosed with colon cancer.  He is told he needs a colostomy that will result in his having to wear an external bag.  Her husband does not want to live like this, and instead, chooses to give up smoking, lose significant weight, begin working out, and radically change his eating habits.  Ellice takes up the study of organic foods, and becomes somewhat of an expert.  Five years later and her husband is doing great.

At each place setting is a folder with all the recipes of what we are going to eat.  It’s all very organized.  Very professional.  I make no attempt to resist the delicious-looking appetizers, as I assume they are low in points.

·    Homemade Bruschetta (I limit myself to one slice but could easily have eaten more)
·    Spring Salad (made beautiful by the edible flowers in it) with raspberry dressing (the dressing, made with a box of fresh raspberries, could have been eaten on its own, it is that good).

The main course is a lot trickier. Cheesy Baked Pasta with Spinach and Artichokes.  I don’t eat pasta since being on WW, and the word cheesy is synonymous with fat and calories.  
                       
I remember Steve, my WW leader, saying something about just tasting a food you want to try but know you really can’t have.  So I do.  Two forkfuls, and I am done.

I have to leave before dessert, which is probably a good thing.  Despite the odd ingredients in the dessert, I’m sure it tastes incredible.

·    Chocolate Moose (made from avocados and cocoa powder)
·    Chocolate Brownies (made with canned garbanzo beans)

I get home and review the recipes.  First on my list to make is the fresh raspberry dressing.  Plus, It’ll be a good excuse to use the must-have emulsifier I bought last December and still have yet to open.

No comments:

Post a Comment