Wednesday, May 12, 2010

horace mann takes the field (lyn)

Last night was the school benefit.  It’s the Parent Association’s (PA) biggest fundraiser.  It takes a year to plan, and involves hundreds of volunteers.  My friend Shari was the chair this year and she did a remarkable job.  She chose the new Yankee Stadium as the venue, and meticulously managed every aspect of the event…from the flowers and food to the many extraordinary gifts that were auctioned off.  She controlled (without being controlling) every minute detail of this multi-layered event.  But the one thing-the only thing-that she could not control was the weather.  And last night was a freezing cold evening, probably in the 40’s, although the forecast said 50’s.

In January, I bought a slinky, sexy black and white form-fitting dress.  Last month I found a comfortable pair of stylish sandals to go with it.  I knew what I’d be wearing for at least three months.  But plans change.

I still wore the dress but now I had to add panty hose.  And sandals would not work in freezing weather, so instead I wore heels.  (An hour into the night the balls of my feel were on fire.  I must have no padding left there.  At one point, I even took my shoes off and was standing on cold cement in my panty hose, that’s how much my feet hurt).  But worse than the panty hose and shoes was the winter coat I wore all night.  I could have worn an old ratty pair of pajamas for all anybody saw.

In advance of the event (months in advance), I promised myself that I would eat whatever I wanted.  I hadn’t counted on that annoying little voice that has taken up permanent residency in my head. So I did pass on the hamburger slider appetizers that looked so good, and instead indulged in lots of shrimp cocktail.  I had two glasses of red wine (which caused me to talk too much to some teachers I saw), and many many French fries.  I  skipped the pasta at dinner, and opted instead for the chicken and rice, and two mini cupcakes.  I wasn’t surprised this morning when I was up .6 pounds at WeightWatchers.  Not bad considering.

Forbes Magazine recently ranked Horace Mann the #2 prep school in the country.  According to their study, half of the ranking was weighed equally between student/faculty ratio (12:1), percentage of faculty that possess advanced degrees (94%) and size of the school's endowment. The other half was based on percentage of graduates, over the last five years, that matriculated into 10 top colleges (36%): the Ivies plus Stanford and MIT. 

Alexander’s school has a reputation for being an elite school of smart, rich, bratty kids, with similar type parents.  The truth is, I find it a school of many warm, generous, thoughtful people.  Last night was a shining example.

No comments:

Post a Comment