Monday, May 24, 2010

waiting for sam: 5 points (m)

Sunday night.  Sam is driving home from a championship game in Gettysburg.  Took him 10 hours to get there on Friday night because of traffic in New York.  He's coming home a different way and he expects to arrive at our home by midnight.

My husband climbs into bed and says "good night."    Nothing interferes with his beauty sleep.  His father once called and said his mother had been taken to the hospital and was in intensive care but that they thought she would be okay.  T went to bed on schedule that evening, too.  "What?  My father said she'd be all right" was his rationale.

I decide to wait up for Sam.  I ate an early dinner at 5 p.m.  and by 11, my stomach was growling.  Had a microwave popcorn and a Diet Snapple Iced Tea.  One point.

At midnight, I call Sam on the cell phone to see where he was.  "Stuck in Hartford....lots of construction....down to one lane....go to bed" he tells me.

I can't do that. 

At twelve thirty a.m., I'm starving.  I have a small apple .  One more point.

At one a.m., I'm even hungrier.  I go on Facebook and re-connect with people from business school.   Why did I do that?  Now I'll have to keep in touch.  Went downstairs and opened a box of Special K multigrain crackers.  17 crackers equals 90 calories.  I think that's two points.  Now, I'm up to four points.

The crackers made me thirsty.  Had some water, but that didn't do it.  Got out two Fiber One yogurts.  One serving is zero points, but two servings is 1 point.  Weight Watchers math.  0+0=1.

Two a.m.---Sam arrives home.

Cost to diet for waiting up for Sam: Five Points.

Knowing your kid is safe: Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment