Monday, May 24, 2010

thank you luncheon (lyn)

Shari has arranged a lunch to thank all the volunteers for the school Benefit.  About 30 of us meet at Grace’s, a lovely little trattoria on the Upper East Side.  Because we’ve all worked together, everyone knows everyone, and taking a seat anywhere is a good seat.

The menu offers a choice of three great options, and like most, I choose the shrimp salad.  The bread does not tempt me, and though I haven’t eaten all morning, I’m confident in my choice. 

But then, un-ordered food starts arriving and I can’t resist.  First come olives, mozzarella, and roasted peppers.  Then some antipasto.  Next, crispy french fries (I skip these knowing I cannot eat just a few).  And finally,  different kinds of thin-crusted pizza-some with mushrooms, some with tomatoes and goat cheese, but the best, smoked salmon, caramelized onion, topped with crème fraiche.  As I'm eating, I actually wonder how I'll count these points.  I doubt I'll find them listed in my WeightWatchers etools guide.

The company and food are both perfect.  I leave feeling good. 

To make up for lunch, I have only strawberries and whipped cream for dinner. But later eat a 4-point candy bar.  I dine alone, as poor Alexander, exhausted from studying until five this morning, decides to “take a nap” at 6:45 and ends up sleeping through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment