Sunday, May 9, 2010

grateful to be a mom (lyn)

Today is Mother’s Day.  Valerie invites us to celebrate it with her and her family, but Alexander has an AP exam in Econ this week, and needs the time to study.  So we decide we’ll have a nice dinner together and eat-in.

By late afternoon, I still have not received anything from Alexander.  I don’t want him spending money on me, but I do want him to recognize the day.  My preference is always for a homemade card.  Around 4:30, Alexander decides to take a break from his work.  He comes into my room and hands me an envelope.  I open it up, and inside is a very short, typed note: 

Dear Mom,
You are so great.  I am sorry that I have not been so pleasant recently because of my school work.  I should not be so stressed.  I am so happy that we are so close (I think he writes this on every card he’s ever sent).  I am even happier that you lost so much weight.  I am sorry that this is so short but if I were to mention all of your accomplishments, my card would be 150 pages long.  Happy mother’s day.

Love,
Alexander

This probably took him five minutes to write.  And not even a handwritten signature!  My disappointment shows, and Alexander says, “You don’t like it do you?”  I have to admit, it doesn’t show much thought.  “OK,” he says, “I’ll go make you another one.”  And in a flash he leaves the room and returns with the real thing.  The envelope is priceless. 






It’s a little hard to see, so here's what it says:  There’s a drawing of my sister, sitting at a table, labeled, Auntie Valerie.  She says, “Lyn, the waiter wants to know if you want pepper on your salad.”  Standing over a scale, weighing a chicken leg, I respond, “Does he know how many points pepper is worth?  One sec, I’m just weighing the chicken in my Caesar salad.  I’ll join everyone in a second.”  I'm wearing a shirt with my midriff showing.  There’s an arrow pointing to my stomach that says, Your bellybutton is showing because your pants are too big for you.

The handwritten card inside is also beautiful.  Among other things, Alexander writes, “Although our dinners have gone from steak and lobster before to salad and water now, I am proud of what you have accomplished, seriously.”

And seriously, I am so lucky to be Alexander's mother.  Of all the roles I've played in life, being a mother is my absolute favorite one.

Oh, and did I mention, my real card came with a real box of Godiva chocolates.  I immediately calculated that one serving, about 3 pieces, is only four points.  

Happy Mother's Day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment