Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I hire a personal trainer (m)

Today is my first day with my new personal trainer. 

I first go to PT for one hour with Merlin.  Turns out, he has a personality.  You just have to dig a little, but it's there.    I'm starting not to mind him.   Besides, he's good at what he does. Unlike the fetching Tara from the previous place, I do NO knee exercises.  Instead, he is concentrating on hip strength and I think it's helping.  His massages and stretches are to die for.  A 300-pound older woman comes in after me and I feel like Twiggy by comparison.  This is what I call a good start to the day.

The feeling was short-lived as I headed towards Ali in the workout room.  Ali is 28 years old and you can tell she's wearing a thong under her black Lululemon pants which appear to have been spray-painted on her.  Already I feel fat.

I look around.  Unlike the blimps in PT, here's where all the hard bodies are.  I wanted to shout: "don't you people have jobs?" but I didn't.  I'm really surprised that many 30/40/50 year olds are working out during the day.  Actually, I'm not surprised.  I'm just annoyed that they are here...in my space.

Ali has consulted with Merlin and designed a "circuit" for me.  We will concentrate on core strength and cardio without compromising the knees.  She said she did this for her father (who is one year younger than I am--I asked his age).  Great.  Now I feel fat AND old.  Just keeps getting better.

We spend one hour doing all sorts of things on machines I've never seen before.  My favorite is the torso rotation machine.  My least favorite is something that works your core....on this one I do "flys" and something else.  I had to lift weights sitting on an exercise ball.  I tried like hell not to slip.  I was afraid they'd need a crane to lift me back up.

As we went from station to station, I noticed Ali left a manila folder on the floor.  It had my name on it.  I vaguely remember telling her my weight at our meeting last week.  HORRORS!  "Ali...go get my folder, please, you left it on the floor by the torso machine."  Ali thanks me for reminding her to pick it up, "I'm always leaving these things around."  I explain to her that if she can't remember to pick it up, she should cross my weight out so I don't have to worry that it's "out there" in the universe.  She laughs as if I'm joking.

We agree to meet two-three times per week for 6 weeks and supplement with some deep water aerobics.  I asked if there were harpoons by the pool and she laughed again as if I were joking.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Go get 'em MAP!!!
    xoxo
    Your cheering squad in Woodside

    ReplyDelete