Friday, May 7, 2010

awards dinner (m)

The New England Women's Leadership Awards is a wonderful event whereby 5 women are recognized for achievement in one of the following categories: leadership, pioneer, philanthropy, community spirit and courage.  About 1,000 people attend the event and a prominent newscaster is the emcee.  Each award recipient tells the story of her personal journey to success.

I was given the Leadership award in 2005 alongside Eunice Kennedy Shriver who won the Pioneer award for having established the Special Olympics.  It remains one of the highlights of my life.  My family and some of my close friends were there to share the night with me.  I'll never forget it. 

Two years ago, I chaired the event.  I got to work with a woman named Kathy who did the graphics for my slides.  She had recently lost 75 pounds and was a size 3x.  I know because I commented on her stunning jacket and she told me where she got it and the size. 

I saw Kathy again last night.  As usual, she was wearing a great outfit.  She looked about the same size as two years ago.  She noticed my weight loss and paid me a nice compliment on my outfit.  I told her about Weight Watchers.  She laughed and said "You haven't heard what happened to me?  After I lost those 75 pounds, I gained it ALL back....and lost it again!  This time, though, I played it smart and went to Weight Watchers.  It's the only thing that works." 

Kathy still has about 75 pounds more to go before she will be where she wants to be.  I have no doubts she'll make it this time because I know firsthand that Weight Watchers is the only thing that works.

As my friends and I listened to all the women accept their awards and share their stories of success, I thought of Kathy and her brave struggle with her weight.  I thought she should get an award, too.  I think I'll recommend a new category called "perseverance" for next year's gala.

Meanwhile, we all know that weight loss has its own rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment