Monday, May 17, 2010

oh, what a night (m)

The key to being on a diet or weight loss program is staying in control.  You have to control what, how much and when you eat.  You weigh and measure your foods and track points and, importantly, write everything down.  Oh, and don't forget to eliminate temptations.

I almost had a nervous breakdown this weekend trying to stay on plan.

Saturday was one of those "16 pounds in a 10-pound bag" day.  Too many activities for one day.  Crew regatta one hour north of our home.  Prom right after that, 1 hour south of our home (or two hours south of the crew regatta).  Pick up Sam's stuff at college (4 hours west of our home).  And my mother.

The day began with lots of running around, assembling the tux.  I thought I was ahead of the game when I had Harrison try on Sam's tux early in the week and it fit.  My husband had all the accessories--or so he said.  Saturday morning comes and we are scrambling around, looking for studs.  Ran to get the corsage, put it in the cooler on ice since it had to come to the race with us and sit in the car for four hours.  Ran back and packed up food for Harrison.  Forgot my lunch.

Drove north with my mother reading Mapquest directions to me.  She doesn't drive and sits in the back seat and can't hear for beans.  She's shouting the directions and I'm telling her things like "we already did I-95 North...What's the next turn?  Hurry!"   To which she says: "If you're going to yell at me, I'm not coming."   There was no point reminding her she already was on the trip.

I stopped at CVS for something (okay, mouse traps. two dead mice in our garage today) and got a pack of almonds.  1.5 oz of almonds.  99 cents.  Pre-packaged.  My WW leader, Karen, likes almonds.  Says they are "good fats" and heart-healthy.  I bought a points calculator on Friday.  6 points for these almonds. Almost had a heart attack when I figured that out...which was after I ate them.

Hooked up with my husband at the race.  We decided he would go to NY to pick up Sam's stuff, stay overnight and come back Sunday for H's second race.

Got  my mother an ice cream at a home-made ice cream stand.  Let me tell you, the almonds did not fill the void.  After I got my mother her "kiddie-sized maple walnut in a sugar cone AND in a cup (don't forget the extra napkins and spoon)," the clerk asked, "Will that be all?"  I wanted to say, "No.  I'll have a large chocolate chip cone for me," but of course I didn't.  I said that would be all and I walked back to the car to give Miss Daisy her ice cream. 

Scooped up H after the race (they won) and sped down to Duxbury, a beautiful coastal town near the Cape.  Got to the girl's house where he showered and changed.  Saw them off to the prom.  

Had 5 hours to wait until it was time to pick him up.  It was 6 p.m.  Dinner?  Movie? Both?  We decided to go see Letters to Juliet.  My mother had popcorn.  With butter.  I told her I couldn't have butter.  We compromised and she got a cup of butter on the side.   I don't know how many points was in the popcorn but there was a ton of salt.  I will look like a dirigible tomorrow, I thought.  Movie was cute.  Vanessa Redgrave looks like a man, though.  Does that happen when we age?  We look more masculine?  I think it is the hormones.  We lose estrogren.

After the movie, we went to a nice restaurant.  Except they didn't have many lean options.  I got a salad with chicken but really wanted a boiled lobster which they didn't have.  My mother got Fish N Chips and said it was "excellent."  Figures.  The one time she gives something her highest rating, I can't find anything I want to eat.

Got H at 11 p.m and we headed home.  I ate a Fiber One yogurt and went to bed just after midnight.

Tomorrow is another day.    I will control the situation much better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment