Tuesday, May 4, 2010

god bless america (m)

My maternal grandmother grew up in a small mountain village in central Italy.  In 1977, my friend Abby and I toured Italy and visited her birthplace.  You could see the Adriatic Sea from there.  It was beautiful, but isolated and, I imagine, desolate over a winter season.

When my grandmother immigrated to America, she couldn't get over all the inventions and conveniences of modern life in an industrialized part of the world.  Every time she would encounter something new or amazing she would say "God Bless America."  It was her euphemism for progress.

Today, I did a quick run to Costco.  The sole purpose of my trip was to get one of those large containers of blueberries.  The batch I had last week was just perfect and, as you'd expect, the price is always right.

There were no blueberries today.  None.  There were blackberries and strawberries, but no blueberries.

Instead, I bought shrimp, a pair of Lucky brand jeans (not for me), and a 10 foot by 10 foot tent.

Where else can one buy food, clothing and shelter in one store?

God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment