Sunday, May 2, 2010

janie condon: raw and unchained (lyn)

I’m not a big user of Facebook, but I do love re-connecting with people I have totally forgotten about.  Like Jane.  A few months ago I was scrolling through the friends-list of an old high school friend of mine.  On it were people I haven’t seen in over 40 years.  So I friended them.  One of them was Jane.  It turns out that she is married, has two sons, lives in waspy Greenwich Connecticut, and is surprisingly a stand-up comedienne.  Tonight she is performing a one-woman show in a small off-Broadway theater.   Robyn and I decide to go.

Early this morning there was a failed car bombing in Times Square (where the theater is), so I’m a little nervous about going back to that same neighborhood tonight, but not so nervous that I decide to cancel.

Again, I have to adjust my dinner-schedule to accommodate leaving at 6pm in order to make a 7pm show.  So again, I settle for a tuna fish sandwich on a hamburger roll, 14 Pringles-light, and a pickle.  I order Alexander sushi and he is happy. 

The show is entertaining.  I’ve never seen a performance where I understand the references so intimately (names of people I actually knew, specific restaurants I’ve actually eaten in, and a description of my blue-collar hometown with all its warts). 

Get home around  9:30.  Alexander is a little flipped out about all the work he didn’t do.  I open the fridge and have a 3-point serving of mango sorbet.  A nice way to end the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment