Saturday, May 1, 2010

dinner for 30 (m)

Harrison's crew team and coaches came to dinner tonight.  I served chicken parm, stuffed shells, salad, bread and a large platter of fruit with some cookies on the side.

I did not make the main course because I didn't want to be around food all day.  I asked the team captain, a senior, for guidance on quantities.  He told me what they've had for previous dinners.  He gave an enthusiastic thumbs up on the menu choices and suggested portions (3 large trays of chicken parm, 2 large trays of stuffed shells, 1 large tray of salad and 7 loaves of french bread).  He said they ran out of food last week.

I called D'Agostino's to place the order.  I've used them a million times before for Sam's baseball and hockey parties.  Good, hearty Italian food. 

I told them what I wanted and ordered the quantities suggested by Dan, the Captain.

"Did you say this is for 30 people?" they asked.  "You want all that food for thirty people?  You have enough here for DOUBLE that."

What do I do?

I told them to go ahead as ordered and I'd deal with leftovers.

The kids and coaches arrived on the nose at 7 p.m.  My first impression was that they are skinny.  Not thin...skinny.  My second impression was that most are tall.  One freshman is 6' 4".

My nephew and I put the food out (my husband was outside, tending the fire in the fireplace.  Those WASPS love their fires.....also, he doesn't trust me to do it since I forgot to open the flue last December and almost caused a house fire).

The kids and coaches lined up and DEVOURED the food.  Within one hour, it was all gone except one square of chicken parm and four stuffed shells.  I even had to get some bread out of my rerigerator to supplement.

The fruit platter, which I thought was ridiculously big, also went.  There was one piece of canteloupe left and I think that one fell on the ground and got put back on the tray since it had dirt on it.

The kids sat around the fire and talked a while.  Even the coaches stayed.  Everyone thanked us profusely when it was time to leave.

I cleaned up and was about to go to bed at 11:30 p.m. when H wandered into the kitchen and asked if I would make him eggs on toast.

How is it that some people can eat like this and not gain weight?

No comments:

Post a Comment