Wednesday, June 23, 2010

3 things happen today (lyn)

1.    Alexander identifies Dartmouth as the school where he can most see himself.  Everything about Dartmouth excites him—from its reputation to its grounds to the academics to the students to the 4-quarter system to its size to its compactness to its proximity to a small but lovely town to its focus on the undergrad experience to its history.  

2.    I tour the home I grew up living in.  On the way back from Dartmouth I decide to make a detour and drive by the house in Brockton where I spent my first 18 years.  The front door of the house is open.  I stop, and Alexander thinks I'm joking when I tell him I'm going to knock. No one answers so I go around back and find a very nice woman wrapped in a towel, having just come out of her above-ground pool.   I introduce myself and the woman who now lives there invites Alexander and I in, and gives us a tour.  It is strange to be back in the house I haven’t lived in for over 40 years.  All the rooms look so much smaller. And every room evokes memories from so many years ago.  The house today is a mess.  Horribly decorated and clothes everywhere.  But that is not what I see.  

3.    I eat horribly all day.  Chicken Caesar salad wrap for lunch and a small pizza (8 slices) for dinner.  I must be up at least two pounds from last week.  I miss my scale;  it keeps me grounded.   I will track again as soon as I am home.  But for now, I will try to enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment