Sunday, June 27, 2010

gustare oil and vinegars (lyn)

Falmouth is more sophisticated than many of the Cape Cod towns.  It is not filled with a lot of tacky touristy places with $5 T-shirts announcing, “ I Love Cape Cod.”  Those shops do exist, but the town is also populated with many nice specialty stores.  Last night, Cynthia and I discover a new one in nearby Mashpee Commons.  


We have a 30 minute wait before dinner, so we are walking around and bump into Gustare’s.  It’s a small store that only sells Balsamic Vinegars and Olive Oils (http://www.gustareoliveoil.com.).  The store itself is a tasting room for the products.   When you walk in, you are greeted by large silver kegs filled with all different kinds of oils and balsamic vinegars from around the world.  The kegs hold products I’ve never heard of, like Chocolate Balsamic or Cinnamon Pear Balsamic. You are invited to sample the products and there are tiny pieces of bread you can use to dip. 

Although there are many I’d like to taste, I start conservatively and buy myself and my mom a bottle of the 18-year old traditional balsamic as well as a bottle of the garlic olive oil. 

I fall in love with this little store, and can’t wait to make a salad dressing using my new ingredients.  

No comments:

Post a Comment