Wednesday, June 16, 2010

not all meetings are created equally (lyn)

Today is weigh-in day.  So I decide to go to a meeting in Mashpee Commons, a quaint little shopping village about 15 minutes from my parent’s home.  The meeting is being held at Bobby Byrnes, a restaurant specializing in burgers and fries….. sort of odd, considering.  Thinking the meeting starts at 8:30, I arrive on time.

I take a seat and see that the meeting is winding down.  Apparently it began at 8, not 8:30.  I raise my hand to make a comment, and stupidly begin by saying, “Obviously I’m not from here.”  I use the word obviously to imply that I’m an unfamiliar face, but I think it comes across as an obvious to imply that I don’t look and act like anyone else at the meeting. And worse, when the leader asks where I am from and I say Manhattan, I’m sure everyone is thinking, “Figures.”  Then the leader says, “Ah, I can hear a little of your New Yock accent.”   Really?  I think I have a small Boston accent, but I don't want to antagonize her so I smile and say nothing. 

The leader is uninspiring.  She is clearly no Steve.  She discusses technology as if she has no idea what any of it means, but wishes she did.  She asks the class if anyone has an iPhone and I’m the only one who raises a hand.  Then she tells a story of a very young friend of hers, early 20’s, who showed her an iPad.  I think it was the first time she’d ever heard of one. 

Having decided to take full advantage of my “vacation” time, I stopped tracking last Sunday, and am therefore a little nervous to step on the scale.  But before leaving, I do.  The weigh-in person is very serious.  No smiles from her.  She just looks at me and reports the news, “120.6 pounds.  Same as last week.” 


Phew.  The news is good.  I can leave happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment