Monday, June 21, 2010

thinking thin (lyn)

It’s about 6:30 and my mom is in my room to wake me for our morning walk with the girls.  I tell her to go without me as Alexander and I were up late last night.  I try to go back to sleep but can’t.  Last night’s mini crème puff is weighing heavily on my mind, and likely somewhere else as well.

I’m out the door before 7.  Along the way I bump into Diane, a local woman who is beautiful and fit and lives in one of the loveliest houses here.  She also shares the exact same first and last name as Alexander’s grandmother.  She’s a couple of years younger than I am, and has that naturally grey-white hair that makes her look glamorous, not old.  She walk/runs 5 miles every single day, without exception.

I’m not ready to accept her offer to walk together as she is much too fit for me.  I’m a beginner compared to her expert status.  But we do about a half-mile together.  Our talk turns to food, and I tell her how hard it is to eat healthy here, as the temptations are so great.  But as I’m talking to her, I realize that my ability to resist temptation has strengthened since I started WeightWatchers.  I’ve been conditioned to think thin.

For example, the other night at Bobby Byrnes, I was about to order the fried clams, but at the last minute I switched over to the burger.  If I’m going to eat fried clams only once this summer (which is my limit), I want to be sure that the place I order them from is known for their seafood, not their burgers.  And the other day when we stopped at Dunkin Donuts, stuck in my mind somewhere was the number 7, as in 7 points.  That’s the real reason I only ate half.  Or even last night.  I wanted to try my sister’s homemade apple pie when we all returned from Cynthia’s, but didn’t. 

I’m back from my walk by 8.  I have some coffee, and decide to eat light today.  It’s a beautiful day and I plan to go to the beach.  I don’t know yet what we’ll be making for dinner, but I do know what I’ll be having for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment